I’m bringing you a break in my usual happy Monday post because the lovely Rebecca of This Booky Place nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award. I’m really new to this and completely surprised anyone reads my random thoughts, so Rebecca’s nomination really touched me: thank you!
The rules are:
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog (see above)
2. Write a post to show your award (you’re reading my post now)
3. Give a brief story of how your blog started.
4. Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
5. Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
6. Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them & provide the link to the post you created.
How My Blog Started
I wish I had a great story for this, but basically I joined a readathon on Twitter over Easter weekend and everyone was posting about what they’d read over on their blogs. I wanted a blog. I made one.
Two Pieces of Advice for New Bloggers
Being really new to this myself, I feel a bit of a fraud giving advice, but here it is:
- Be yourself. Don’t try to copy someone else just because you think that’s what people want to read. It’s better to have a handful of followers that want to read what you have to say than hundreds who are following you because you sound like someone else. That way madness lies.
- Think about what you want to do in advance: I gave no real thought to this beyond “blog. I want one”. I ended up switching from Blogger to WordPress after a few weeks and it took me longer than I should have to start planning what I wanted to do. I’m still doubting it now. I wish I’d thought more about what I was trying to do before just jumping right in!
15 Bloggers I Want to Nominate
This is a crazy amount and I’m assuming a lot of these have already been nominated, but here goes:
- Louise Book Murmuration and Amy from Golden Books Girl for being lovely, helpful and supportive new bloggers. I’d have given up a while ago without these two.
- Zoe from no safer place for being so kind to newbies in the blogging community and allowing me to be her personal stalker!
- Liv from That Fiction Life for being my long lost book twin – it’s nice to find people who share your unpopular bookish opinions.
- Steph from A Little But A Lot and Cora from Tea Party Princess The first bloggers I met in real life who were lovely and welcoming when I gatecrashed their trip to see Patrick Ness.
- Cait from Paper Fury and Grace from Almost Amazing Grace who both run amazing blogs that I read long before blogging about books myself.
- Lucy from Queen of Contemporary and #ukyachat and Rachel from 100 or Less and #sundayya for their awesome chats which introduced me to the book blogging community
- Rebecca from This Booky Place, Sarah from Sarah Withers Blog , Lia from Lost in a Story, Faye from A Daydreamer’s Thoughts and Donna from The Untitled Book Blog for being so welcoming of newbie bloggers and for the awesome Twitter chats.
And everyone else who reads this, you’re all wonderful!