Thanks Steph for giving me an outlet for my righteous rage. This week’s six books have given me angry feelings for various reasons.
1. A Thousand Perfect Notes by CG Drews. That mother. If you haven’t read it yet, then firstly, you’ll have no idea what I mean, and secondly, get on with it. Now. Then you can join me in a wave of fury for the woman who makes Beck’s life hell.
2. The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven. Revenge porn should not be a thing. Neither should “nice guys” who are just pretending to be nice because they feel entitled to love and sex and affection. This book is one of my favourites of the year, but the treatment Izzy faces outraged me.
3. The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed. This one filled me with feminist rage. Why is the patriarchy?
4. Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman. What is wrong with these parents? If you have not read this one, please do. Read it now. If the mother in this book doesn’t make you angry, then I don’t know what will.
5. I Am Thunder by Muhammad Khan. I loved this book, but the way that Muzna was radicalised made me really angry. She wanted to explore her faith, but the people she put her trust in let her down badly. It made me so angry that they betrayed her in such an awful way.
6. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli – No-one should ever be blackmailed by another person in exchange for them keeping a secret. Threatening to out another person is not okay. Ever. And it made me so angry that Simon was put in this position. So angry.
What books make you angry? What did you think of my choices for this week’s prompt? Let me know in the comments – let’s discuss our angry feelings.