This week, Queen of Kid’s Lit, Steph, is asking us for our 2019 Kid’s Lit Must Reads. Here are six Middle Grade books that I’m looking forward to this year:
1. Rumblestar by Abi Elphinstone. I adore Abi’s writing and am very excited for there to be another book of hers out in the world. I also had the honour of watching our Steph read it for the first time, and there were EMOTIONS.
2. WildSpark by Vashti Hardy. I really enjoyed Bright Storm last year and am looking forward to more from Vashti Hardy – her adventures are amazing.
3. The Lost Tide Warriors by Catherine Doyle. I loved The Storm Keeper’s Island when I read it and have been excited for this book to be out in the world since I first heard there would be a sequel.
4. And Then I Turned Into A Mermaid by Laura Kirkpatrick. Sarcastic mermaids from the genius mind that brought us The Exact Opposite of Okay and A Girl Called Shameless. Also, there’s a bit about a haddock suit that I heard about in an event Laura was at and I need to know how that pans out.
5. The Girl Who Speaks Bear by Sophie Anderson. The House With Chicken Legs is one of my favourite books ever. Sophie’s writing is exceptional and I cannot wait to be reading one of her books again.
6. Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab. This last year I have really got to love V. E. Schwab’s work, and her dark twisty MG book City of Ghosts was a highlight. Tunnel of Bones is the next in the series and I’m really interested to see where it goes.
What Kid’s Lit books are you looking forward to this year? Any that should be on my list?