Ice cream and books are two of my favourite things. Thinking about which books I’d pair with my favourite ice creams was a lot of fun. My favourite ice cream in the world is from Wallings, a farm near to where I grew up and close to where some of my family still live. They do a ridiculous number of tasty ice creams. All the ones below are ice creams I have had there, and books that pair well with them.
1. Vanilla. Always a firm favourite of mine and I will not listen to anyone who says vanilla ice cream is boring. It’s delicious, and Wallings do the best one of them all. I’d pair this with Fierce Fragile Hearts by Sara Barnard, one of my firm favourite reads.
2. Mint choc chip. This ice cream is white (I have big issues with green mint ice cream, I just cannot eat it). I’m pairing this with The Fandom Rising by Anna Day which is a really refreshing book, totally absorbing and nothing like anything else I have read.
3. Black Cherry Ripple. A twist on a classic favourite ice cream, and it’s a good one. I’m pairing this one with my favourite retelling, which is undoubtedly Circe by Madeline Miller.
4. White Chocolate. A super sweet ice cream to pair with a super sweet book: The Paper and Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie. This book is just utterly adorable and definitely a sweet summer read.
5. Strawberries and Cream. A classic summer favourite. If I read classics, I’d pair this with one, but I’m going to match it with Joanne Harris’s The Strawberry Thief. Strawberries and brilliance all round.
6. Stem Ginger. A gorgeous ice cream with an fiery twist. Scar by Alice Broadway. This book had some brilliant and unexpected twists and is definitely a fiery conclusion to one of my favourite trilogies.
What’s your favourite ice cream and which book would you pair it with?